Friday, March 15, 2019

Shopping Bags; Part One - Bates Caprilli Dressage Saddle.



I have been fighting this nagging voice in my head telling me I am at heart a Dressage Student not a hunter jumper for several years now.

My real passion falls in planning my ride for the day, week etc, how I am going to get there, why I do what I do (as a rider influencing the horse), and finally how my horse reacts and feels.
From there I devise and orchestrate my plan and how I ride.

Am I conventional in my approach to traditional dressage? No.

Though am I conventional as a horse woman? Yes, in every way.

What makes sense and is the least stressful on the horse is the path I follow. I know where I want to be, the horse simply obliges to those ‘weird’  requests, it is easier for us to adapt to them. As every student learns differently, we must listen in order to successfully teach.


All in all I admit, I Kaila, am a dressage rider who occasionally jumps sticks for kicks.


Ever since selling my classic old Kieffer saddle, I regret not having it. It was so much easier to relax my pelvis and allow my hips to open and follow rather than the resistance I feel as I fight the forward position my close contact saddle places me in. Great for fences, bad for proper form.

I made it work taking all those dressage lessons in a close contact, because we all know, the saddle does not make a good rider, until now when I ceased my window shopping bit the bullet after a glass or two of wine one Friday evening and sent the money to buy a Bates Caprilli Dressage Saddle.


Why Bates?

Well, my current saddle is a Bates and no matter the fance of other saddles I have tried, from CWD’s, Passier’s to Custom saddles, nothing compares for comfort, durability and stability I feel in the tack.

Not forgetting to mention the ease of the gullet change system. While you argue it may not be a perfect fit, it does however give you the most generous toolbox possible when attempting to mirror the developing young horse.


The CAIR you say?

Yes. It has it’s cons but really as long as you have a good seat as a rider, the air filled panels will mould to your horses back. Is it more bouncy? Maybe a bit, yet if I think about it, I would rather have a lofty bouncy ball on my back that conforms to pressure than a rigid, unyielding slab.
Just my thoughts, I respect all opinions.



The process of getting this baby wasn’t easy, ugh, I could almost say the universe was screaming ‘don’t do it’ yet I persevered and now I think it was simply the universe teaching me to appreciate it when I have it in my hands. Because I mean as far as looks, this saddle is pretty basic.


I scored a great deal. Someone having moved form the USA leaving their horse behind and never having bought another. The sweet lady tossed in Prestige leathers, flexi stirrups, two gorths, a new set of white polos and an extra gullet.
Unboxing, The leather was dry and chalky but cleaned up to a lovely matte and unporous look after from well earned TLC. I swear this saddle was used twice...


I have yet to ride in this puppy, it may be some time yet, though I cannot help myself from propping it up on the saddle stand and sitting in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment