Friday, March 22, 2019

Milestones.

Speaking of plans?

Well, I may have manifested that the universe soil my plans for horse time yesterday via my last post.


Look Ma, I'm a big girl now.


I brought out my close contact saddle, peeled off the stirrups and leathers and brought a dozen different girths because you never know what size baby horse will be.
I knew there was a reason I hoarded tack...

Upon arrival the arena already had two riders so I grabbed my pseudo second horse Thunder, my tried and true guy, and opted for a groom and quick ride. Groaning slightly after seeing the three blankets I had to unbuckle. This guy's mom likes to layer. 
I swear I felt like a little kid listening to the bouncing merry go round music, hastily unwrapping each layer in hopes to find the layer with the prize before the music stopped.

Thunder was crazy clean thanks to layering, and being a late shedder it makes for a quick groom. 

We tacked up and went for a basic w/t/c, landing some killer leg yeilds and getting there shoulder in's.

Thunder - 'Noms!'


The arena slowly grew to five so I called it a day and after grooming Thunder and layering back up, I headed out to grab Belle.


Plans thwarted by the lessoners that tend to ride for hours, I thought 'well, let's make this work for us'.


Surprisingly I came up with some great exercises that can be done in the barn isle!


I have been stressing a bit about how Belle will be to back in the next few months and I want to do as much as I can to prepare her now. (She is A HECK of a lot more sensitive that the other horses I have started in the past)

I got to brainstorming... What spooks baby horses when backing?


- Tiny human's becoming very tall due to mounting block, now very scary!

- Where did human go? Why does my back feel weighty?



Ah- hah! I will grab a stool and groom on each stair and THEN I will gently drape myself across her back while standing on the stool and groom her opposite side, scritching all over for optimal baby horse happiness.


This actually worked famously. Belle was a totally cool cat and it made my confidence rise as well. Definitely something I am working into the repetoire.


We then moved on to setting the saddle on her back a few times, flapping the flaps, general noise making, skipping the girth because she had already been in the barn awhile and all the commotion going on is enough for baby brains.


Lastly, I tossed in bit/bridle in my hand on top of her end of session snacks, making it necessary to mouth the bit in order to get the yummies. 


Anytime I can make these introductions as stressless as possible is a win for me! 
Not to mention, anytime I can teach the big babies that head stays down for bridling is a MAJOR win!

No comments:

Post a Comment