Sunday, March 31, 2019

A Week In The Life Of D.R.E ; Tack Progress.




Wow, it is hard to believe it has only been just over a week since I introduced the saddle to Belle.

I was a bit apprehensive after seeing how she reacted to girthing up of the surcingle (I don't have any cheap tack to experiment with). I mean she didn't do anything bonkers but she is sensitive and backed up, trying to nip every time I would apply pressure ... she wasn't getting away with it so I went with her, held it until she relaxed and I would then release.
We did this for a couple weeks before I had the inkling that it might not be the pressure of the 'girth' but rather over stimulation.
The horses would be running around hollering outside, snow sliding off the roof, wind flapping at the arena etc.
So I opted to tack up in the barn, while still using my method of standing on the step stool while grooming, leaning over her back and grooming the other side. The combination seemed to get her used to things on her back, while getting nice scritches.

After getting confident with this I grabbed my new dressage saddle (girth easier to do up with one hand) and proceeded. Belle was a totally cool character.

We worked stirrupless a few days before adding the stirrups to dangle at her side's, just going about our in hand work, including a day where we went outside. Silly baby even tried a buck being so excited to be in a new spot.

Off topic - though I feel the need to address it. Different strokes for all folks aside but I don't let my horses buck on the lunge. I want them to know what is acceptable when working with me right off the bat, which translates well under saddle I feel.
Mind you they don't get into trouble but I do apply pressure, much like a more dominant horse in the herd until they behave and I go about my normal business, pressure off. Ie. You buck, I approach you with assertive body language and a good ole' growly 'GEETT'. The babies learn super quickly since they are really sensitive to herd structure and finding their place at this age.

"Ima goooood girl, what chu telling those people"


Anyhow, tangent aside she thought to try it again, got the GEETT and didn't try again since.

The last 10 days have been focused on just short in hand sessions with a good grooming, reinforcing good habits and what life will look like.

I did toss her on the lunge line once, hoping my 'moving the feet' exercise would translate, which it did fabulously. Asked her for a minute or two of trot, (gosh is she ever a big mover when she's balanced). I even asked once for a canter, it was very uphill for the few steps she got. I didn't push it yet, I am a big believer of taking it gradual and not drilling but allowing her joints and brain to build up to be able to sustain the pressures.

"I cannot turn and trot.."

I also started introducing pressure from the stirrups, mimicking in saddle pressure. Moving the haunches this way and that, flapping the stirrups, jumping beside her up and down from the stool, even leaning on her and patting her all over. This filly just does not care and just looks at me like "cookie time now..." with a dose of "wat chu doin' up there Willice".

It might seem like we don't get a lot done in the 20 minute groom and the 15 minute sessions but I am noticing a total change in her trust and confidence. She is still a baby, totally in my face and can't stand still for long but this is the progress I LOVE.

I cannot wait to ride this creature.
While I still get the willies every time I push the envelope a little bit, like leaning over her or hand walking on the trails away from barn safety with a massive baby who power walks like 'a hooker on the prowl' (lmao Lianne), the most important thing when working with these babies, swallow your nerves and exude confidence for these youngsters are watching you for confirmation that everything is safe and okay.


"Alright.... I guess this is alright, right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment